Virgin Mobile MiFi
(Orange County, CA)
I've posted MY review of the Virgin Mobile MiFi device. After receiving so many user submitted reviews regarding Virgin Broadband2Go issues, I reached out to Virgin to request a test unit. I figured that it was time to get some first-hand experience with the service, and they were kind enough send me a Novatel 2200 MiFi hostpot.
The great thing about MiFi devices are that due to the fact that you connect to it via standard WiFi, there's no fussing with USB modem drivers and installation issues. However, the downside is that while my review provides first hand experience with the Virgin Mobile MiFi activation and Broadband2Go service, I wasn't able to test the USB modem installation process. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do that at some point as well.
In my review I take you through the activation and setup procedure, My Account topup and usage monitoring features, speed, battery life, VPN access, and overall conclusion.
While you can click over to the review and read it in detail, here's an executive summary of my experience:
- Packaging was simply, clean, and easy to understand.
- Activation was smooth, though I did run into one nuance that could cause some confusion.
- Connecting to the MiFi device with multiple computers was simple and easy as expected.
- I really like the usage monitoring; very simple (and expected!) and yet useful feature.
- I had no issues using VPN with the device.
- Speed was the same as Sprint from what I can tell, though coverage/speed in my house is not consistent. Customers/users definitely need to ensure that you test coverage/speed in places where you plan on using the device (ex. home, work, play). Depending on your coverage experience, you will either LOVE this service or become absolutely frustrated. I don't see this as a Broadband2Go issue though, but rather a Sprint issue.
- Battery life was disappointing, and is my main gripe with MiFi hotspots in general.
Click over to the full review to read my overall conclusion of the Virgin Mobile MiFi, and the Broadband2Go service in general.The following are links to other user reviews, including some good troubleshooting tips and tricks from visitors to the site:Virgin Prepaid Broadband2Go Tech Support ProblemsVirgin Mobile Broadband2GoVirgin Mobile Broadband2Go "could not update the phone book file"